The science and technology of particle physics has contributed to many other areas benefitting to the nation's well-being.
- Food sterilization
- Medical isotope production
- Simulation of cancer treatments
- Reliability testing of nuclear weapons
- Scanning of shipping containers
- Proposed combination of PET and MRI imaging
- Improved sound quality in archival recordings
- Parallel computing
- Ion implantation for strengthening materials
- Curing of epoxies and plastics
- Data mining and simulation
- International relations
- Nuclear waste transmutation
- Remote operation of complex facilities
The applications of particle physics technology are diverse, far-reaching, and ever expanding.